Testing Times

Friday night's thunder storm passed to reveal a mint day. The plan was to get some laps in and data-log some power runs around Pukekohe racetrack to refine the tune. But first we had to iron out some issues......


Hugo leant me his trailer, but it seems that my front end was too low to clear the two ramp storage pins in the centre, so out came the long planks.

Paul my tuner needed to soldier some leads into the ecu to take feeds from a few sensors, so we dropped in to his house to do that on the way. Had to rig up some quick fixes at the track to get a 12V feed to the O2 analyzer since I had foolishly deleted my cigarette lighter. Sorry Paul.

The fuel map for 740cc injectors was reading lean at idle indicating the injectors were not actually 740cc as I was originally told. Paul flashed a map more suited to 550cc injectors onto the chip and dialed in some extra fuel high up for the larger turbo.

Next my gauges and boost controller ceased working. But a loose ground turned out to be at fault and was quickly rectified. Since the gauge cups refused to stick to the dash and were itching to  fly out the window any second, i removed the cups and zip tied all gauges into the vent space in the dash. Works so well i don't know why i didn't just do that from the start. By now I was growing tired of having my head under the dash, but eventually with a more suitable map loaded, and two coolant leaks attended to, i clocked up a combined 4 laps. The car is tuned to 12psi for now since we ran out of track time  to datalog any higher boost runs.


Big thanks to my Dad and Paul for their help. Hoping to head to Hampton Downs next Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment